Trinity House hosts the Transform and Reignite Fellows.
Trinity House is located in the Morrisania Section of the South Bronx. Trinity Church and the rectory, known as Trinity House, are in a Historic Landmark District of the South Bronx. They lie east of Boston Road at 166th Street. Trinity Episcopal Church of Morrisania, is the oldest building in the district, built in 1874, and is located to the south of the two main blocks of the district, across from Morris High School. The rectory, to the east of the church, was built in 1889. Both the church and rectory were built in Victorian Gothic style.
Trinity House is a 3 story house. On the 1st floor is the kitchen, living room, dining room, office and 1/2 bathroom. The 2nd floor has 4 bedrooms and one full bathroom. The 3rd floor has 2 bedrooms and one full bathroom. The rectory is on the same premises as Trinity Episcopal Church. It is surrounded by a large yard and garden. Transform and Reignite fellows will have access to the yard.
The Morrisania section of The South Bronx is in the poorest congressional district in the United States. Among the 21,320 residents of Morrisania, there is a median household income of $29,000, with 37% of the population below the poverty line. Morrisania is a neighborhood with a mix of occupational and cultural groups. There are more people of Dominican and Puerto Rican ancestry living in Morrisania than in nearly any other neighborhood in America. Morrisania also has a high percentage of African immigrants and residents from the West Indian Islands. The languages spoken in this neighborhood are diverse. Both Spanish and English are the dominant languages with many dialects from African countries represented.
Trinity House is surrounded by public housing, privately owned brownstones and apartment buildings, grocery stores (or “Bodegas” as you will come to call them), laundry mats and a supermarket. Directly across the street from Trinity House is Morris High School. Morris High School was the 1st high school built in The Bronx, built in 1897. The building now houses four small specialty high schools: High School for Violin and Dance, Bronx International High School, the School for Excellence, and the Morris Academy for Collaborative Study.
Morrisania is responsible for the rise of Hip Hop. From the mid 70s through the late 90s one hip hop innovator after another found a receptive audience for their work in this historic Bronx neighborhood, whose capacity for nurturing musical talent miraculously survived the often tragic economic and cultural upheavals that accompanied hip hop’s emergence as the voice of inner city youth. The South Bronx is also home to the New York Yankees, with Yankee Stadium only 1 mile from Trinity House.
Trinity House is easily accessible by car, bus, and train.
Fellows are welcomed by the parishioners of Trinity Church. While the parish is primarily West Indian, there is a mixture of Korean and Caucasian active members. Trinity sponsors and ceramics after school program for elementary and middle school children as well as a monthly Thrift shop where gently used clothing, household items etc. are given away to residents in the neighborhood. The church will be having a yearlong celebration of 150 years as a parish during 2018.